Sunday, September 9, 2012

Menagerie Part Two

I'm still working on the menagerie project, and I've started focusing on color schemes. My first idea was to create a bunch of fantasy creatures out of modeling clay in mostly purple colors, and I worked out a violet-green-orange triad, with violet being the dominant color. I took inspiration from this painting by animator Chris Reccardi, who has worked on Ren & Stimpy, The Powerpuff Girls and Spongebob Squarepants:


The blue in the picture doesn't really go with my triad, but the violet background, green alien and pink-orange face of the girl inspired these color swatches:


I created a mock-up of what these colors might look like when applied to some of my characters: 


My other idea was to create a menagerie of fantasy sea creatures, like the octopus I posted last week, which was colored in a cool green. I rethought that and came up with a blue-yellow-red triad, with blue being the dominant color. I was inspired by this vibrant painting by Dr. Seuss, titled A Unicorn Every Girl Should Have:


Again, the color scheme in the painting isn't exactly what I'm going for - there's a little too much orange and green -  but I used some of the other colors and made swatches:


And I also incorporated these colors into my drawings:


I think I'm leaning on the land creatures right now, but we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment